Saturday, May 26, 2012

Quiet for the Weekend


"Moses and Aaron, Nadab and Abihu, 
and the seventy elders of Israel went up 
and saw the God of Israel. 
Under his feet was something like a pavement 
made of lapis lazuli, as bright blue as the sky.  
But God did not raise his hand against 
these leaders of the Israelites; 
they saw God, and they ate and drank."
Exodus 24:9-11

One week ago today, we returned to real life after a week on St. Thomas. This often overlooked biblical reference to being in the presence of God spoke to me today, reminding me of the 'bright blue' 'something like a pavement made of lapis lazuli' experiences of this week away. A little exploration yielded these other quotes more specifically tied to the ocean and its healing, renewing qualities.
May you each find a way to meet God this weekend, dear friends. Looking for a bright blue pavement beneath God's feet might be a way to begin. 

“Why do we love the sea? It is because it has some potent power to make us think things we like to think.”
- Robert Henri

"When anxious, uneasy and bad thoughts come, I go to the sea, and the sea drowns them out with its great wide sounds, cleanses me with its noise, and imposes a rhythm upon everything in me that is bewildered and confused."
- Rainer Maria Rilke

"The sea does not reward those who are too anxious, too greedy, or too impatient. One should lie empty, open, choiceless as a beach--waiting for a gift from the sea."
- Anne Morrow Lindbergh

“Total physical and mental inertia are highly agreeable, much more so than we allow ourselves to imagine.
A beach not only permits such inertia but enforces it, thus neatly eliminating all problems of guilt.
It is now the only place in our overly active world that does.”
- John Kenneth Galbraith

"I could never stay long enough on the shore; the tang of the untainted, fresh, and free sea air was like 
a cool, quieting thought."
- Helen Keller

“The waves of the sea help me get back to me.”
- Jill Davis


Joining with my sweet, smart, kind friends Sandy and Deidra today.
And I cannot for the life of me get Deidra's button to transfer to the new blogger format! 
I copy and paste to no avail. I even tried typing the HTML code by hand - nada. RATS.

Here's the URL for Deidra's fine site, to which I cannot subscribe, either.
Time to take a class in computer code?

http://www.deidrariggs.com/