Thursday, April 14, 2011

5 Minute Friday: On distance...


The lovely and terribly talented (and also very tired new-mommy to #3, the beauteous Zoe) Lisa-Jo has given us a corker this week. 5 minutes of unedited, non-stop writing on this topic: "On distance..."

Distance is a tough word for me today, carrying multiple layers of meaning and poignancy ...
...distance from people I thought were friends (2 that I can think of)...
...distance from my eldest grandson, who is living thousands of miles away for a while and figuring out who he wants to be as he enters young adulthood...
...distance from the mom I've always known as she moves into confusion more often than either of us would wish or choose...
...distance from our home congregation - self-imposed, to be sure and coming to an end in three weeks - but a strange sort of exile still...
...distance from parts of myself that are no longer in active mode, learning to re-direct all those pastoral instincts and contain them within the boundaries of retirement I am just learning about...
...distance from my usual devotional routines, by choice mostly, but also by necessity as I figure out how to do this in a different way, with a different schedule (or lack of same)...

BUT... no distance from God just now, just trying to remain open to where the Wind will blow me next...

STOP